Miessence Reflect Outdoor Balm (sunscreen) (tested to SPF 27*) is a water-free nourishing balm with natural minerals that help reflect damaging ultraviolet radiation.
Microfine zinc oxide offers protection from harmful rays while organic olive oil keeps the skin supple. Potent antioxidants including natural vitamin E, beta carotene and polygonum extract, protect the skin from premature aging and prevent damage caused by the elements.
Zinc oxide is the mineral used in Reflect. It has over a 300 year history of safety with no known adverse reactions (which is why it is often used to treat babies). It protects against UVB and UVA spectrum and is the closest thing to a total sunblock on the market today. No other sunscreen ingredient provides broader protection. (1) (
1) Excerpt from : Dr. Pinnell, The J. Lamar Callaway Professor of Dermatology at Duke University, Medical Center, Durham, NC, is a consultant for sunSmart, Wainscott, NY, and SkinCeuticals, Dallas, TX. Dr. Madey is the medical/scientific liaison for SkinCeuticals, Dallas TX.
*Due to regulations in Australia for SPF ratings, Miessence would have to have this product manufactured in a licensed SPF facility (instead of their own manufacturing plant) to claim an SPF higher than 15.
**Miessence submitted it for third party testing which gave it a rating of SPF level 27
We all love the outdoors – nothing makes us feel more alive than having fun in the elements. Whether it be pounding through the salty surf, shooshing down powdery ski runs, or just throwing a ball with the kids in the park; if you're out in the sunshine, you need to protect your skin.
The "mean" is the "average" you're used to, where you add up all the numbers and then divide by the number of numbers. The "median" is the "middle" value in the list of numbers - The zinc oxide in Miessence Reflect Outdoor Balm mean - 105nm; median - 150nm; range - 30-180nm The definition of a nanoparticle is where the mean particle size is smaller than 100nm. Micronized sized particles do not pass through your skin. Micronization is achieved through mechanical grinding not nano engineering.
Apply generously to skin surfaces exposed to sunlight 20 minutes before exposure. Reapply every two hours. Store below 30oC / 86oF
Everything you wanted to know about sunscreens, SPF and Skin Cancer
- certified organic olea europaea (olive) fruit oil
- zinc oxide
- certified organic butyrospermum parkii (shea) fruit butter
- certified organic unrefined cera alba (beeswax)
- mixed tocopherols (natural vitamin e)
- avena sativa (oat) kernel flour
- certified organic copernicia prunifera (carnauba) wax
- natural coconut extract
- aroma (proprietary blend of essential oils)
- certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil
- certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract
- certified organic daucus carota (carrot) CO2 extract